Thread: Re: how to get qualities, ups-downs, etc. into the T0-T9 variables?

Started: 2015-02-10 21:19:02
Last activity: 2015-02-10 21:19:02
Topics: SAC Help
Dear All -

In the nonce, this will also work. It is a macro to do a pick with attached quality and transfer it to another of the Tn variables. Always uses the P pick but saves/restores info around it.

SAC> sc cat /tmp/pick.m
* Macro to make a quality-coded and directional pick and to transfer it to
* t0-t9
* usage: m pick t[0-9]
setbb sva "&1,a&" svka "&1,ka&"
message "Make pick using P; result will be transferred to $1$"
ppk
ch $1$ "&1,a&" k$1$ "&1,ka&"
ch A "%sva%" KA "%svka%"
unsetbb sva svka

SAC> m /tmp/pick.m t3
Make pick using P; result will be transferred to t3

SAC>

On 10 Feb 2015, at 08:05, Thomas Wilson <td.wilson3<at>gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

If it can be implemented, being able to set quality information for the Tn picks in there corresponding kTn headers would be a very useful feature for us.

kind regards,

Tom Wilson

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM, George Helffrich <George.Helffrich<at>bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
Dear All -

The only header variables that SAC originally set pick quality & direction for were the A and T0 variables. A is set by the P and C pick commands (to characterize the P pick quality), and T0 is set by the S pick command (to characterize S). Tn (n>0) never had quality information carried over into their corresponding KTn header variables.

Unless this was implemented in IRIS versions of SAC, it is not an original feature of SAC.

I don’t see why it could not be implemented, however, because the quality information is accumulated up until any pick is defined. Let me know if you can make use of it.

On 9 Feb 2015, at 12:38, Martha Savage <Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz> wrote:

Hi,

I felt sure that SAC used to let the user using ppk specify a quality to a pick on the T1-T9 variables by first typing the quality etc. and then the pick number, e.g., typing u2it3 would make the variable t3 have the time of the phase where the cursor was, and the variable Kt3 would have “U2I” in it.

However, now we’ve been using SAC 101.6 and it doesn’t seem to work that way any more. Now the time is still properly entered into t3, but the label is put into the Amarker no matter what else you type. Is this meant to be this way now, or is this a bug? Do we need an updated version of SAC and if so, what version?

I also couldn’t find a way to search the archives without opening every month up separately, so I’m sorry if this has been discussed before.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Martha Savage
Professor of Geophysics
SGEES
Victoria University of Wellington
Te Whare Wananga o te Upoko o te Ika a Maui
Temporary office: MY 1114
Box 600, Wellington, 6140
New Zealand

Email: Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz
DDI: +64 (0)4 463-5961
mobile: 021-262-7516

George Helffrich
george.helffrich<at>bris.ac.uk

• Thanks! That's a good work-around.

Cheers,

Martha Savage
    Professor of Geophysics
    SGEES
    New Zealand

Email: Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz
    DDI: +64 (0)4 463-5961
    mobile: 021-262-7516

From: George Helffrich [glgrh<at>bristol.ac.uk] On Behalf Of George Helffrich
    Sent: Tuesday, 10 February 2015 5:19 p.m.
    To: Thomas Wilson
    Cc: Martha Savage; sac-help<at>iris.washington.edu
    Subject: Re: [SAC-HELP] how to get qualities, ups-downs, etc. into the T0-T9 variables?

Dear All -

In the nonce, this will also work. It is a macro to do a pick with attached quality and transfer it to another of the Tn variables. Always uses the P pick but saves/restores info around it.

SAC> sc cat /tmp/pick.m
    * Macro to make a quality-coded and directional pick and to transfer it to
    * t0-t9
    * usage: m pick t[0-9]
    setbb sva "&1,a&" svka "&1,ka&"
    message "Make pick using P; result will be transferred to $1$"
    ppk
    ch $1$ "&1,a&" k$1$ "&1,ka&"
    ch A "%sva%" KA "%svka%"
    unsetbb sva svka

SAC> m /tmp/pick.m t3
    Make pick using P; result will be transferred to t3

SAC>

On 10 Feb 2015, at 08:05, Thomas Wilson <td.wilson3<at>gmail.com<td.wilson3<at>gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,
    If it can be implemented, being able to set quality information for the Tn picks in there corresponding kTn headers would be a very useful feature for us.
    kind regards,
    Tom Wilson

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM, George Helffrich <George.Helffrich<at>bristol.ac.uk<George.Helffrich<at>bristol.ac.uk>> wrote:
    Dear All -

The only header variables that SAC originally set pick quality & direction for were the A and T0 variables. A is set by the P and C pick commands (to characterize the P pick quality), and T0 is set by the S pick command (to characterize S). Tn (n>0) never had quality information carried over into their corresponding KTn header variables.

Unless this was implemented in IRIS versions of SAC, it is not an original feature of SAC.

I don't see why it could not be implemented, however, because the quality information is accumulated up until any pick is defined. Let me know if you can make use of it.

On 9 Feb 2015, at 12:38, Martha Savage <Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz<Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz>> wrote:

Hi,

I felt sure that SAC used to let the user using ppk specify a quality to a pick on the T1-T9 variables by first typing the quality etc. and then the pick number, e.g., typing u2it3 would make the variable t3 have the time of the phase where the cursor was, and the variable Kt3 would have "U2I" in it.

However, now we've been using SAC 101.6 and it doesn't seem to work that way any more. Now the time is still properly entered into t3, but the label is put into the Amarker no matter what else you type. Is this meant to be this way now, or is this a bug? Do we need an updated version of SAC and if so, what version?

I also couldn't find a way to search the archives without opening every month up separately, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Martha Savage
    Professor of Geophysics
    SGEES
    New Zealand

Email: Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz<Martha.Savage<at>vuw.ac.nz>
    DDI: +64 (0)4 463-5961<tel:%2B64%20%280%294%20463-5961>