Thread: fdsnws-event service - New Release

Started: 2013-09-17 20:26:38
Last activity: 2013-10-04 22:51:06
Topics: Web Services
Yazan Suleiman
2013-09-17 20:26:38
Hello WS users,

The DMC has updated the fdsnws-event service to version 1.0.6. Changes include:

* Fixed bug where updatedafter operated on the wrong timezone
* Updated behavior of magnitudes for combinations of includeallmagnitudes and magtype. (Details)

This release should be backwards compatible with all request tools.

regards,
IRIS DMC web services team
  • Philip Crotwell
    2013-09-18 00:43:07
    Hi

    So, with these changes and if I am reading the docs correctly, if I specify
    magType, there is no way to get all magnitudes because includeallmagnitudes
    only includes all the magnitudes that also match the magtype? Meaning if I
    query "magtype=MB&includeallmagnitudes=true" then I might get 5 magnitudes,
    but they will all be of type MB?

    Am I misunderstanding the docs, because this doesn't seem to match what you
    proposed a few weeks ago. I think there is definite value in being able to
    get ALL magnitudes when searching on a particular type. Being able to get
    all magnitudes of a given type actually seems less useful to me. In most
    cases I am quit happy to get the "best" magnitude of a given type, but
    there are cases where I want to see the best Mb and the Mw and ML for the
    events I am interested in.

    Can you clarify?
    Philip



    On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Yazan Suleiman
    <yazan<at>iris.washington.edu>wrote:

    Hello WS users,

    The DMC has updated the fdsnws-event service to version 1.0.6. Changes
    include:

    * Fixed bug where updatedafter operated on the wrong timezone
    * Updated behavior of magnitudes for combinations of includeallmagnitudes
    and magtype. (Detailshttp://service.iris.edu/fdsnws/event/docs/1/help/#magnitudebehavior
    )

    This release should be backwards compatible with all request tools.

    regards,
    IRIS DMC web services team

    _______________________________________________
    webservices mailing list
    webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
    http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices



    • Chad Trabant
      2013-10-01 15:04:08

      Hi Philip,

      That is correct. We struggled with this one quite a bit and there is really no right answer. The issue is that magtype can mean either what is searched on (as specified by the spec) but also specify what is returned. If we change the logic to what you propose there will be no way to request only all magnitudes of a given type for events. There are simply not enough parameters to separate these use cases unfortunately. Understand that it remains quite easy to get all magnitudes without specifying any magtype for the server and doing more advanced selection downstream if needed.

      It would be useful to hear from other users regarding what would be useful. The 'magtype' parameter, per the specification, specifies which magnitudes should be used for matching the criteria (min and max). Should the 'magtype' parameter also be interpreted as a selection of what to return?

      thanks
      Chad

      On Sep 17, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Philip Crotwell <crotwell<at>seis.sc.edu> wrote:


      Hi

      So, with these changes and if I am reading the docs correctly, if I specify magType, there is no way to get all magnitudes because includeallmagnitudes only includes all the magnitudes that also match the magtype? Meaning if I query "magtype=MB&includeallmagnitudes=true" then I might get 5 magnitudes, but they will all be of type MB?

      Am I misunderstanding the docs, because this doesn't seem to match what you proposed a few weeks ago. I think there is definite value in being able to get ALL magnitudes when searching on a particular type. Being able to get all magnitudes of a given type actually seems less useful to me. In most cases I am quit happy to get the "best" magnitude of a given type, but there are cases where I want to see the best Mb and the Mw and ML for the events I am interested in.

      Can you clarify?
      Philip



      On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Yazan Suleiman <yazan<at>iris.washington.edu> wrote:
      Hello WS users,

      The DMC has updated the fdsnws-event service to version 1.0.6. Changes include:

      * Fixed bug where updatedafter operated on the wrong timezone
      * Updated behavior of magnitudes for combinations of includeallmagnitudes and magtype. (Details)

      This release should be backwards compatible with all request tools.

      regards,
      IRIS DMC web services team

      _______________________________________________
      webservices mailing list
      webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
      http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


      _______________________________________________
      webservices mailing list
      webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
      http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


      • Philip Crotwell
        2013-10-04 22:51:06
        Hi

        Did you all come up with a use case for requesting "all magnitudes, but
        only of a single type"? I just don't see how someone wanting all 'mb'
        magnitudes would be mad if they also got some "Mw" and "ML" magnitudes? Not
        like the extra magnitudes contribute that much overhead, and as you say
        they can be filtered out or ignored on the client side.

        I do see a use case for filtering based on a magType, but still wanting to
        see ALL magnitudes. Searching for "mb>X" is common, but with mb saturating
        for large earthquakes, many seismologists would prefer to use the mw if it
        exists for a given event, but falling back on the mb if not. To bo honest,
        the main reason for me may be that the parameter name
        "includeallmagnitudes" is confusing if it doesn't actually "include all
        magnitudes".

        I'll cast my vote for includeallmagnitudes to really "include all
        magnitudes," regardless of whether or not magType is specified.

        My $0.02
        Philip




        On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Chad Trabant <chad<at>iris.washington.edu>wrote:


        Hi Philip,

        That is correct. We struggled with this one quite a bit and there is
        really no right answer. The issue is that magtype can mean either what is
        searched on (as specified by the spec) but also specify what is returned.
        If we change the logic to what you propose there will be no way to request
        only all magnitudes of a given type for events. There are simply not
        enough parameters to separate these use cases unfortunately. Understand
        that it remains quite easy to get all magnitudes without specifying any
        magtype for the server and doing more advanced selection downstream if
        needed.

        It would be useful to hear from other users regarding what would be
        useful. The 'magtype' parameter, per the specification, specifies which
        magnitudes should be used for matching the criteria (min and max). Should
        the 'magtype' parameter also be interpreted as a selection of what to
        return?

        thanks
        Chad

        On Sep 17, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Philip Crotwell <crotwell<at>seis.sc.edu> wrote:


        Hi

        So, with these changes and if I am reading the docs correctly, if I
        specify magType, there is no way to get all magnitudes because
        includeallmagnitudes only includes all the magnitudes that also match the
        magtype? Meaning if I query "magtype=MB&includeallmagnitudes=true" then I
        might get 5 magnitudes, but they will all be of type MB?

        Am I misunderstanding the docs, because this doesn't seem to match what
        you proposed a few weeks ago. I think there is definite value in being able
        to get ALL magnitudes when searching on a particular type. Being able to
        get all magnitudes of a given type actually seems less useful to me. In
        most cases I am quit happy to get the "best" magnitude of a given type, but
        there are cases where I want to see the best Mb and the Mw and ML for the
        events I am interested in.

        Can you clarify?
        Philip



        On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Yazan Suleiman <yazan<at>iris.washington.edu
        wrote:

        Hello WS users,

        The DMC has updated the fdsnws-event service to version 1.0.6. Changes
        include:

        * Fixed bug where updatedafter operated on the wrong timezone
        * Updated behavior of magnitudes for combinations of includeallmagnitudes
        and magtype. (Detailshttp://service.iris.edu/fdsnws/event/docs/1/help/#magnitudebehavior
        )

        This release should be backwards compatible with all request tools.

        regards,
        IRIS DMC web services team

        _______________________________________________
        webservices mailing list
        webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
        http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


        _______________________________________________
        webservices mailing list
        webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
        http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices



        _______________________________________________
        webservices mailing list
        webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
        http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices



        • Chad Trabant
          2013-10-04 21:04:33

          Hi Philip,

          Yes, there are use cases. Your vote has been heard.

          We are working on some changes to hopefully satisfy both of these cases, so it might be moot.

          Chad

          On Oct 4, 2013, at 12:51 PM, Philip Crotwell <crotwell<at>seis.sc.edu> wrote:
          Hi

          Did you all come up with a use case for requesting "all magnitudes, but only of a single type"? I just don't see how someone wanting all 'mb' magnitudes would be mad if they also got some "Mw" and "ML" magnitudes? Not like the extra magnitudes contribute that much overhead, and as you say they can be filtered out or ignored on the client side.

          I do see a use case for filtering based on a magType, but still wanting to see ALL magnitudes. Searching for "mb>X" is common, but with mb saturating for large earthquakes, many seismologists would prefer to use the mw if it exists for a given event, but falling back on the mb if not. To bo honest, the main reason for me may be that the parameter name "includeallmagnitudes" is confusing if it doesn't actually "include all magnitudes".

          I'll cast my vote for includeallmagnitudes to really "include all magnitudes," regardless of whether or not magType is specified.

          My $0.02
          Philip




          On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Chad Trabant <chad<at>iris.washington.edu> wrote:

          Hi Philip,

          That is correct. We struggled with this one quite a bit and there is really no right answer. The issue is that magtype can mean either what is searched on (as specified by the spec) but also specify what is returned. If we change the logic to what you propose there will be no way to request only all magnitudes of a given type for events. There are simply not enough parameters to separate these use cases unfortunately. Understand that it remains quite easy to get all magnitudes without specifying any magtype for the server and doing more advanced selection downstream if needed.

          It would be useful to hear from other users regarding what would be useful. The 'magtype' parameter, per the specification, specifies which magnitudes should be used for matching the criteria (min and max). Should the 'magtype' parameter also be interpreted as a selection of what to return?

          thanks
          Chad

          On Sep 17, 2013, at 2:43 PM, Philip Crotwell <crotwell<at>seis.sc.edu> wrote:


          Hi

          So, with these changes and if I am reading the docs correctly, if I specify magType, there is no way to get all magnitudes because includeallmagnitudes only includes all the magnitudes that also match the magtype? Meaning if I query "magtype=MB&includeallmagnitudes=true" then I might get 5 magnitudes, but they will all be of type MB?

          Am I misunderstanding the docs, because this doesn't seem to match what you proposed a few weeks ago. I think there is definite value in being able to get ALL magnitudes when searching on a particular type. Being able to get all magnitudes of a given type actually seems less useful to me. In most cases I am quit happy to get the "best" magnitude of a given type, but there are cases where I want to see the best Mb and the Mw and ML for the events I am interested in.

          Can you clarify?
          Philip



          On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Yazan Suleiman <yazan<at>iris.washington.edu> wrote:
          Hello WS users,

          The DMC has updated the fdsnws-event service to version 1.0.6. Changes include:

          * Fixed bug where updatedafter operated on the wrong timezone
          * Updated behavior of magnitudes for combinations of includeallmagnitudes and magtype. (Details)

          This release should be backwards compatible with all request tools.

          regards,
          IRIS DMC web services team

          _______________________________________________
          webservices mailing list
          webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
          http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


          _______________________________________________
          webservices mailing list
          webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
          http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


          _______________________________________________
          webservices mailing list
          webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
          http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


          _______________________________________________
          webservices mailing list
          webservices<at>iris.washington.edu
          http://www.iris.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/webservices


Page built 21:21:50 | v.e7d5ec69