Thread: Want to share your AS-1 data in realtime?

Started: 2007-06-06 21:40:18
Last activity: 2007-06-06 21:40:18
Topics: IRIS EPO
Alan Jones
2007-06-06 21:40:18
For AS-1/AmaSeis users:

The current version of AmaSeis has the capability to share data in realtime. This has been running for John Lahr and myself for a few months but we want some more testers. You don't have to be a current user of AmaSeis to test!

This is beta-level code!

To test, this is what you can do:
a.. Download and install AmaSeis from www.geol.binghamton.edu/faculty/jones/AmsSeis.html
b.. If you already are using AmaSeis, install in a different directory.
c.. Run it once and then shut it down. This will create a modified version of the file AS1.INI.
d.. Bring up AS1.INI with an editor.
e.. Toward the bottom of the file, set the following parameters exactly as I have them:
TCPPort=80
TCPHostAddress=copland.geol.binghamton.edu
TCPRefreshSeconds=1
TCPClient=YES
TCPServer=NO
a.. Bring up AmaSeis again.
b.. It should connect with my AmaSeis/AS-1 at Binghamton University.
c.. To really see the power of this, go to Controls/Set date time and set to 2004.12.26 and 8 hours.
d.. You'll see the Sumatra 9.0 earthquake! Extract it!
e.. If you try this tomorrow, those Sumatra files will still be there. You won't have to fetch again.
Now that you see this working, and, hopefully, it will work for you, consider how you can use this in your school.

Things to think about:
a.. Do you have a computer running AmsSeis on the network?
b.. If so, are there teachers in other rooms who would like access to your real-time data?
c.. There are likely to be firewall issues if you share from school to school. But if you are in the same school, that should not be a problem.
d.. If you want to try sharing across institutions, this is how I made it work. On my server:
a.. I used port 80
b.. Opened up my hardware firewall to allow TCP connections to port 80.
e.. All you have to do is set the computer attached to the AS-1 as (see above): TCPServer=YES, TCPClient=NO. The server doesn't need to set the TCPHostAddress parameter.
f.. It might be better to pick some high number between 32768 and 65535 for the TCPPort address rather than the 80 I used.
g.. Set any client computers like above but substitute the IP address or name of the server machine.
Good luck. Let us ALL know about your successes or failures.

Note: There are instructions in the Help screens concerning TCP/IP.

Alan

############################
# Alan Jones
## AlanJones<at>stny.rr.com
### http://home.stny.rr.com/alanjones
#### 607-786-5866
##### 3717 Wildwood Drive
###### Endwell, NY 13760
############################
00:36:12 v.22510d55