Thread: ‘IKE WAI POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (GEOPHYSICS/HYDROGEOPHYSICS) – ID# 18200

Started: 2018-05-02 01:24:48
Last activity: 2018-05-02 01:24:48
Institution: The Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii
Open Until: 2018-05-31

‘IKE WAI POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (GEOPHYSICS/HYDROGEOPHYSICS) – ID# 18200

School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology. Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST), Hawai‘i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology (HIGP), located in Honolulu, Hawai‘i. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.

MONTHLY SALARY RANGE: $3,455-$5,083/Mon.

DUTIES: The ‘Ike Wai project applies novel geophysical and other field assessment methods in a multi-disciplinary framework to generate data and new conceptual and refined numerical models that address the grand challenge of water sustainability. The project includes faculty from the University of Hawai‘i (UH) Manoa School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, the College of Engineering, The College of Natural Sciences, the Social Science Research Institute, the Water Resources Research Center, UH Hilo and Chaminade University. For additional project information, please visit www.hawaii.edu/epscor. Works as part of the geophysics team to help address the goals of the multi-disciplinary ‘Ike Wai project on understanding the complex hydrogeology and groundwater resources of Hawai‘i. Assists in designing and conducting land-based geophysical field data acquisition, using a variety of cutting-edge geophysical equipment and methods. Processes acquired geophysical land data, carries out imaging and inversion of different land data sets, possibly in a joint-inversion framework, and conducts data verification, data analysis/modelling and data interpretation. Conducts forward modeling studies using various methods, and inversion of synthetic and field land data, and provides geological interpretations. Develops and programs relevant modeling, imaging, and inversion algorithms, as needed. Delivers scientific peer-reviewed journal publications, submits conference abstracts to scientific conferences, and assists in preparing reports. ‘Ike Wai Postdoctoral Researchers will interact with scientists and students across disciplines and actively engage in professional development training in areas such as leadership, diversity, pedagogy and mentoring. ‘Ike Wai Postdoctoral Researchers will participate in a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with diverse communities in Hawai‘i and the Pacific on issues surrounding water sustainability. Successful candidates must be committed to working with diverse student and community populations that reflect the University’s Native Hawaiian Pacific Island-serving context.

PRIMARY QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION/TRAINING: PhD from an accredited college or university in Applied Geophysics, Hydrogeophysics, or Geophysics (preferably obtained within the last four (4) years). (Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university and an additional two (2) years of experience in the industry may substitute for a PhD). Track record of publication in peer-reviewed journals. EXPERIENCE: At least three (3) years of experience in geophysical research utilizing geophysical methods. Proven expertise in land-based geophysical field data acquisition, processing, imaging, inversion, and characterization, using seismic methods (active or passive) and/or electromagnetic methods (electrical resistivity, induced polarization, magnetotellurics, self-potential). Strong, proven experience in imaging and inversion of synthetic and field data, as well as forward modeling studies. Experience in algorithm development for imaging and inversion. ABIL/KNOW/SKILLS: State of the art knowledge of land-based geophysical field methods and field data processing, imaging, and inversion, as well as geophysical-mathematical modeling. Knowledge of geophysical land equipment and field deployment/operations on land. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to test and deploy geophysical field equipment and verify data collection. Must be a great team player. PHYSICAL/MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to lift and carry up to twenty (20) pounds, under Hawaiian field conditions. POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).

SECONDARY QUALIFICATIONS: Experience working in a collaborative environment in an institution of higher education or similar organization. Experience in hydrogeophysical water resource research, exploration and/or assessment. Knowledge of associated fieldwork safety and environmental standards.

INQUIRIES: Daily Supervisor, Dr. Niels Grobbe 956-5857 (Oahu).

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Salary History, 4) Supervisory References, 5) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). Please also arrange for three (3) letters of recommendation to be sent to RCUH by the application deadline, either by regular mail to the above address or via email to rcuh_employment<at>rcuh.com. Include the Job Title and ID# in the email and letters of recommendation. All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to rcuh_employment<at>rcuh.com. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-8344 or (808)956-0872.

CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2018 or until filled. Applications received after this deadline may be considered only if the position is not filled or up to the date a selection has been approved by the RCUH (whichever comes first).

RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.

Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.

15:00:05 v.22510d55