Thread: Convert from sac to ascii not working

Started: 2022-03-28 15:12:44
Last activity: 2022-03-29 15:58:30
Topics: SAC Help
Fayola M. Thompson
2022-03-28 15:12:44
Hello, I am a geophysicist based in Trinidad and Tobago. I am trying to convert files in SAC via SAC v102 for MAC but I keep getting the following error

ERROR 1310: Illegal data file list number

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. Any duplication, copying, distribution, dissemination, transmission, disclosure or use in any manner of this email (including any attachments) without the authorisation of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email (including any attachments) in error, please notify the sender and delete this email (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.

• Cliff Thurber
    2022-03-28 16:57:39
    Fayola,

It will be easier to help you if you provide the command you executed that resulted in this error, and perhaps also the SAC file you are trying to convert.

Cliff Thurber

On Mar 28, 2022, at 11:30 AM, Fayola M. Thompson (via IRIS) <sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu> wrote:

Hello, I am a geophysicist based in Trinidad and Tobago. I am trying to convert files in SAC via SAC v102 for MAC but I keep getting the following error

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. Any duplication, copying, distribution, dissemination, transmission, disclosure or use in any manner of this email (including any attachments) without the authorisation of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email (including any attachments) in error, please notify the sender and delete this email (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.
    ----------------------
    SAC Help
    Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/sac-help/ | Unsubscribe: sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu <sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>

Sent from the IRIS Message Center (http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/)
    Update subscription preferences at http://ds.iris.edu/account/profile/

Attachments
    • Fayola M. Thompson
      2022-03-29 14:53:10
      Hello Cliff,

I am working on calculating the standard spectral ratio for the Port of Spain area in Trinidad and Tobago. The abridged version of the process I've been following is to
      -convert from gcf to sac using gcf2sac
      -remove the instrument response
      -run a fast fourier transform
      -do the standard spectral ratio
      -convert the file from .ssr to .out
      -convert from .out to .dat
      -convert from .dat to .csv

The problem I have been having is converting from .ssr to .out on the Mac version.
      command executed: convert [file].ssr to alpha [file].out

I have attached both .sac and .ssr files for your information.

Best,
      Fayola
      Sent: Monday, March 28, 2022 12:58 PM
      To: SAC Help
      Subject: Re: [IRIS][sac-help] Convert from sac to ascii not working

Fayola,

It will be easier to help you if you provide the command you executed that resulted in this error, and perhaps also the SAC file you are trying to convert.

Cliff Thurber

On Mar 28, 2022, at 11:30 AM, Fayola M. Thompson (via IRIS) <sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>> wrote:

----------------------
      SAC Help
      Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/sac-help/ | Unsubscribe: sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>

• Cliff Thurber
        2022-03-29 15:07:40
        I don't know what a file of type .ssr is, but apparently convert is obsolete:

This command converts a single data file from one format to another. In the
        previous version of this help file written in 1983, it was stated that convert
        would be replaced in the future by improved capability in READ_ and WRITE_. In
        2011, CONVERT is no longer needed, but for back-compatibility it is being kept.

So you might try using read for the .ssr file and then write alpha for the .out file.

Someone else may have a better idea.

Good luck.

Cliff

On Mar 29, 2022, at 9:53 AM, Fayola M. Thompson <Fayola.Thompson<at>sta.uwi.edu> wrote:

Hello Cliff,

I am working on calculating the standard spectral ratio for the Port of Spain area in Trinidad and Tobago. The abridged version of the process I've been following is to

The problem I have been having is converting from .ssr to .out on the Mac version.

Best,
        Fayola

Fayola,

Cliff Thurber

On Mar 28, 2022, at 11:30 AM, Fayola M. Thompson (via IRIS) <sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>> wrote:

----------------------
        SAC Help
        Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/sac-help/ | Unsubscribe: sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>

<20211006_090756_PSGH_5JU4E2.ssr><20211006_090756_PSGH_5JU4E2.sac>

Attachments
        • Fayola M. Thompson
          2022-03-29 15:58:30
          Thank you for your help. Using read and then write alpha worked.
          Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 11:08 AM

I don't know what a file of type .ssr is, but apparently convert is obsolete:

This command converts a single data file from one format to another. In the
          previous version of this help file written in 1983, it was stated that convert
          would be replaced in the future by improved capability in READ_ and WRITE_. In
          2011, CONVERT is no longer needed, but for back-compatibility it is being kept.

So you might try using read for the .ssr file and then write alpha for the .out file.

Someone else may have a better idea.

Good luck.

Cliff

On Mar 29, 2022, at 9:53 AM, Fayola M. Thompson <Fayola.Thompson<at>sta.uwi.edu<Fayola.Thompson<at>sta.uwi.edu>> wrote:

Hello Cliff,

Best,
          Fayola

Fayola,

Cliff Thurber

On Mar 28, 2022, at 11:30 AM, Fayola M. Thompson (via IRIS) <sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu><sac-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>> wrote:

----------------------
          SAC Help
          Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/sac-help/ | Unsubscribe: sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu<sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu><sac-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu>

<20211006_090756_PSGH_5JU4E2.ssr><20211006_090756_PSGH_5JU4E2.sac>

16:01:46 v.22510d55