Thread: SAC 101.6 64 on 10.8.4, xcode 4.6, g77?

Started: 2013-08-03 02:40:42
Last activity: 2013-08-05 07:57:35
Topics: SAC Help
Zachary Fisher
2013-08-03 02:40:42
Hi,
I'm trying to support an end user grad student who would like to be able to compile with g77 because of older code.

When she tries to compile, she receives the following error:

/Users/sanja/RWI > g77 rsac1f.f -o rsac1 /usr/local/sac/lib/sacio.a
ld: warning: -macosx_version_min not specified, assuming 10.7
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/sac/lib/sacio.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/sac/lib/sacio.a
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
"_rsac1_", referenced from:
_MAIN__ in ccewmxSo.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

My assumption is that this is because she is trying to use g77 on the 64bit version of SAC - is there a way to compile with g77 in this scenario, or do I need to install the 32bit version of SAC? If so, is there anyway to have both so I can slowly convince them to move to gfortran?

Thanks,
Zachary Fisher
UNC-Chapel Hill

• George Helffrich
    2013-08-03 12:59:13
    Dear All -

g77 is a 32 bit compiler only. If you need runtime library compatibility with g77 on a Mac, I suggest that you download any version of MacSAC and use the SAC libraries distributed with it. Both g77 and gfortran libraries are supplied with recent distributions, and g77 libraries with older ones.

On 2 Aug 2013, at 20:40, Fisher, Zack wrote:

Hi,
    I'm trying to support an end user grad student who would like to be able to compile with g77 because of older code.

ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/sac/lib/sacio.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/sac/lib/sacio.a
    _MAIN__ in ccewmxSo.o

My assumption is that this is because she is trying to use g77 on the 64bit version of SAC - is there a way to compile with g77 in this scenario, or do I need to install the 32bit version of SAC? If so, is there anyway to have both so I can slowly convince them to move to gfortran?

Thanks,
    Zachary Fisher
    UNC-Chapel Hill

George Helffrich
    george.helffrich<at>bris.ac.uk

• Zachary Fisher
      2013-08-05 07:57:35
      George,
      Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I follow completely. I Installed the following SAC package:
      tar -xzf sac-101.6-mac_x86_64.tar.gz

In addition to the latest g++ and gfortran builds from hpc.sourceforge.net

Should g++ be able to compile with that build of SAC? I just (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that the package of SAC I installed only contained the 64bit libraries. It's also (perhaps evident at this point) that I have simply done something wrong because of my own ignorance. I'm not at all experienced with using or installing this software, and simply trying to set up a lab environment for a professor and her grad students. They have been running 10.6 and g++ with an older version of SAC, and I'm trying to make sure everything is at the latest version (we are trying to get all instances of 10.6 off of our network for security purposes and I've been tasked with upgrading this older lab)

Thanks in advance,
      Zack
      Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 12:59 AM
      To: Fisher, Zack
      Cc: sac-help<at>iris.washington.edu
      Subject: Re: [SAC-HELP] SAC 101.6 64 on 10.8.4, xcode 4.6, g77?

Dear All -

g77 is a 32 bit compiler only. If you need runtime library compatibility with g77 on a Mac, I suggest that you download any version of MacSAC and use the SAC libraries distributed with it. Both g77 and gfortran libraries are supplied with recent distributions, and g77 libraries with older ones.

On 2 Aug 2013, at 20:40, Fisher, Zack wrote:

Hi,

_MAIN__ in ccewmxSo.o

Thanks,
      Zachary Fisher
      UNC-Chapel Hill

George Helffrich
      george.helffrich<at>bris.ac.uk<george.helffrich<at>bris.ac.uk>

04:50:39 v.01697673