SPani (Tesoniero et al., 2015) is a joint model of radially anisotropic P- and S-velocity variation of the whole mantle based on the inversion of fundamental Rayleigh and Love surface waves up to the sixth overtone and major P- and S-body wave phases. P- and S-sensitive data are coupled in the inversion by Rayleigh wave data and a mineral physics based regularization term on the relationship between S- and P-velocity variation. This page contains supplemental information on this model’s resolution.
The following images provide information on resolution of the Spani Earth model.
Standard checkerboard test
Checkerboard test designed to evaluate the amount of leakage from the VS model to the VP model
Resolution test with uncorrelated VP and VS input models
To cite the source of this Earth model:
- Tesoniero, A., Auer, L., Boschi, L., and Cammarano, F. (2015). Hydration of marginal basins and compositional variations within the continental lithospheric mantle inferred from a new global model of shear and compressional velocity. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth
To reference the use of this Earth model hosted by EMC:
- IRIS DMC (2015), Data Services Products: SPani, 3D joint anisotropic compressional and shear wave velocity model of the whole mantle, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/EMCSPANI.
To cite IRIS Earth Model Collaboration (EMC) data product or reference use of its repository:
- IRIS DMC (2011), Data Services Products: EMC, A repository of Earth models, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/EMC.1.
- Antolik, M., Gu, Y. J., Ekström, G., and Dziewonski, A. M. (2003). J362D28: a new joint model of compressional and shear velocity in the Earth’s mantle. Geophysical Journal International, 153(2):443-466.
- Ekström, G. (2011). A global model of Love and Rayleigh surface wave dispersion and anisotropy, 25-250 s. Geophysical Journal International, 187(3):1668-1686.
- Ritsema, J., Deuss, A., van Heijst, J., and J.H., W. (2011). S40RTS: a degree-40 shear-velocity model for the mantle from new Rayleigh wave dispersion, tele-
seismic traveltime and normal-mode splitting function measurements. Geophysical Journal International, 184(3):1223-1236.
- Ritsema, J. and van Heijst, H. J. (2002). Constraints on the correlation of P- and S-wave velocity heterogeneity in the mantle from P, PP, PPP and PKPab traveltimes. Geophysical Journal International, 149(2):482-489.
- Tesoniero, A., Auer, L., Boschi, L., and Cammarano, F. (2015). Hydration of marginal basins and compositional variations within the continental lithospheric mantle inferred from a new global model of shear and compressional velocity. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth.
- Visser, K., Trampert, J., and Kennett, B. L. N. (2008). Global anisotropic phase velocity maps for higher mode Love and Rayleigh waves. Geophysical Journal International, 172(3):1016-1032.
Andrea Tesoniero, Ludwig Auer, Lapo Boschi, Fabio Cammarano