Thread: Old earthquake data

Started: 2018-09-11 02:24:53
Last activity: 2018-09-11 02:24:53
Topics: Wilber Help
Guoqing Lin
2018-09-11 02:24:53
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for maintaining Wilber 3, such a wonderful tool for seismologists!

I am currently working on the 2018 Kilauea sequence in Hawaii and have been downloading data from the IRIS. I recently found out that some small events that were available in summer have disappeared from the "Wilber Select Event” search engine (big events are still there). For example, there were over 1300 events from July to December 2015 available back in summer, but now there are only 215. Most of the events before December 2015 were gone.

It looks like smaller events have been removed gradually from the server. It’s scary to know that some data will become unavailable soon. I understand it’s probably difficult to keep everything online, but it will be helpful to know how this is managed so that we can be on track or how to find those old events.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Guoqing

--
------------------------------------------------
Guoqing Lin
Associate Professor
Department of Marine Geosciences
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy
Miami, FL 33149

Email: glin<at>miami.edu<glin<at>rsmas.miami.edu>
Office: (305) 421-4150
Lab: (305) 421-4314
Fax: (305) 421-4632

• Adam Clark (Legacy)
    2018-09-10 20:50:07
    Hello Guoqing,

Thanks for the feedback. This looks like an issue with the event data that Wilber uses -- it doesn't have a single event catalog but uses several different catalogs stitched together, and this looks like a hole where two of those catalogs don't quite match up.

We don't have a good solution for this right now, but we are working on it.

Cheers,
    Adam

----------------------
    Adam Clark
    Web Developer / Admin
    IRIS Data Management Center
    adam<at>iris.washington.edu

On Sep 10, 2018, at 1:18 PM, Guoqing Lin <glin<at>rsmas.miami.edu> wrote:

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for maintaining Wilber 3, such a wonderful tool for seismologists!

I am currently working on the 2018 Kilauea sequence in Hawaii and have been downloading data from the IRIS. I recently found out that some small events that were available in summer have disappeared from the "Wilber Select Event” search engine (big events are still there). For example, there were over 1300 events from July to December 2015 available back in summer, but now there are only 215. Most of the events before December 2015 were gone.

It looks like smaller events have been removed gradually from the server. It’s scary to know that some data will become unavailable soon. I understand it’s probably difficult to keep everything online, but it will be helpful to know how this is managed so that we can be on track or how to find those old events.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Guoqing

--
    Guoqing Lin
    Associate Professor
    Department of Marine Geosciences
    University of Miami
    4600 Rickenbacker Cswy
    Miami, FL 33149

Email: glin<at>miami.edu <glin<at>rsmas.miami.edu>
    Office: (305) 421-4150
    Lab: (305) 421-4314
    Fax: (305) 421-4632

----------------------
    Wilber Help
    Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/wilber-help/ | Unsubscribe: wilber-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu

Sent from the IRIS Message Center (http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/)
    Update subscription preferences at http://ds.iris.edu/account/profile/

10:40:44 v.01697673