Thread: PhD student opportunities in Environmental Seismology - Colorado School of Mines

Started: 2018-11-17 18:06:46
Last activity: 2018-11-17 18:06:46
Institution: Colorado School of Mines
Open Until: 2019-02-01

Two PhD students are sought to join the new surface processes research group at the Colorado School of Mines this coming Fall, 2019. Possible project ideas include but are not limited to the following:

- Developing the use of seismic and acoustic techniques to study stochastic or ‘patchy’ geomorphic processes (e.g., rock fall and bioturbation by trees or animals) and to measure substrate characteristics relevant to the effects of biota on sediment transport (e.g., root density, soil saturation and cohesion).
- Characterizing seismic wave attenuation properties at geomorphically active field settings and examining how attenuation may evolve over individual sediment transport or mass movement events.
- Examining the effects of vegetation, land use and lithology on hillslope sediment transport after wildfire.
- Combining experimental field data with numerical modeling, high resolution topographic analysis and theory development to refine our understanding of the statistical representations and underlying physics of long distance particle motion and interactions with topographic roughness.
- Examining the relative contributions and timescales of post-fire sediment transport processes and landscape response using short-lived radionuclides (e.g., Be-7 and Cs-137).

I welcome applications from highly motivated students who possess or are committed to developing strong quantitative and/or computational skills. I am also dedicated to promoting diverse perspectives and an inclusive culture in both my research group and the broader STEM community. Students with non-traditional or underrepresented backgrounds and/or a passion for advancing equity and accessibility in STEM are therefore especially encouraged to apply.

The priority deadline to compete for university or department support for 2019 is December 15. Interested students should contact Dr. Danica Roth at droth<at>mines.edu to discuss application details, project ideas, and any other questions. More information can be found at https://geology.mines.edu/project/danica-roth/ and https://www.mines.edu/graduate-admissions/application-process/.
17:26:08 v.01697673