Thread: Issues with Wilbur and non-GSN stations

Started: 2021-12-14 15:17:01
Last activity: 2021-12-14 15:17:01
Topics: Wilber Help
James Jackson
2021-12-14 15:17:01
Something has happened to the Wilbur 3 IRIS site that I don't understand.

(The one I use ishttp://ds.iris.edu/wilber3/find_event )

When I select networks in addition to the GSN, such as GEOFON (GE), GEOSCOPE (G), the Canadian network (CN), or Antarctica network (_ANTARCTICA), it finds the stations and plots them on the Wilbur map, and all seems fine. But when the .tar file comes the respective directories GEOFON, RESIF, INGV (which usually contain all the SACPZ response files) are empty.

I have just tried an earthquake again which worked fine in October, downloading (then) all those networks above correctly, but when I re-ordered it again now the GEOFON, RESIF, INGV files were all empty. So it must be something that happened recently.

I also noticed that, when I looked at the download log for an arbitrary earthquake where I requested GSN and GEOFON stations, the log says:

2021-12-14 13:37:17,399 : Starting step 4: Collect additional SACPZ files
2021-12-14 13:37:17,452 : Collecting SACPZ data for /wilber3_data/sam-wimpenny/2021-11-14-mb63-southern-iran/sac_data
2021-12-14 13:37:17,585 : Gathering 180 rows of metadata from datacenter GEOFON
2021-12-14 13:37:17,632 : Couldn't retrieve SACPZ data from GEOFON: name 'xrange' is not defined

Perhaps this last line is the root of the issue I am experiencing — Wilber 3 isn’t able to retrieve the SACPZ files for GEOFON stations (and presumably the other non GSN ones) because something called ‘xrange’ isn’t defined. This isn’t a user option on Wilber 3, so must be an issue on IRIS’ end.

As a separate, but perhaps related, issue, I also found that the tracking service on Wilbur 3 doesn't work properly either. When you ask it to track your request it just seizes up at the 'Fetch timeseries data' stage saying it is 'Working' but not progressing. If you then click on the 'DATA REQUESTS' tab at the top of that web page it tells you that it was actually successful, and you can then download the .tgz file as usual.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or help.

Thank you.

James Jackson

--
James Jackson
University of Cambridge
Bullard Laboratories
Department of Earth Sciences
Madingley Road
Cambridge CB3 0EZ
Tel: +44-1223-337197 (direct)
+44-1223-337191 (messages)
Fax: +44-1223-360779
jaj2<at>cam.ac.uk

• Adam Clark (Legacy)
    2021-12-14 12:55:59
    Hi James,

Thanks for reporting this! I've pushed a fix that should address this.

Cheers,
    Adam

----------------------
    Adam Clark
    Web Application Developer
    IRIS Data Management Center
    adam<at>iris.washington.edu

On Dec 14, 2021, at 11:28 AM, James Jackson (via IRIS) <wilber-help-bounce<at>lists.ds.iris.edu> wrote:

Something has happened to the Wilbur 3 IRIS site that I don't understand.

(The one I use ishttp://ds.iris.edu/wilber3/find_event )

When I select networks in addition to the GSN, such as GEOFON (GE), GEOSCOPE (G), the Canadian network (CN), or Antarctica network (_ANTARCTICA), it finds the stations and plots them on the Wilbur map, and all seems fine. But when the .tar file comes the respective directories GEOFON, RESIF, INGV (which usually contain all the SACPZ response files) are empty.

I have just tried an earthquake again which worked fine in October, downloading (then) all those networks above correctly, but when I re-ordered it again now the GEOFON, RESIF, INGV files were all empty. So it must be something that happened recently.

I also noticed that, when I looked at the download log for an arbitrary earthquake where I requested GSN and GEOFON stations, the log says:

2021-12-14 13:37:17,399 : Starting step 4: Collect additional SACPZ files
    2021-12-14 13:37:17,452 : Collecting SACPZ data for /wilber3_data/sam-wimpenny/2021-11-14-mb63-southern-iran/sac_data
    2021-12-14 13:37:17,585 : Gathering 180 rows of metadata from datacenter GEOFON
    2021-12-14 13:37:17,632 : Couldn't retrieve SACPZ data from GEOFON: name 'xrange' is not defined

Perhaps this last line is the root of the issue I am experiencing — Wilber 3 isn’t able to retrieve the SACPZ files for GEOFON stations (and presumably the other non GSN ones) because something called ‘xrange’ isn’t defined. This isn’t a user option on Wilber 3, so must be an issue on IRIS’ end.

As a separate, but perhaps related, issue, I also found that the tracking service on Wilbur 3 doesn't work properly either. When you ask it to track your request it just seizes up at the 'Fetch timeseries data' stage saying it is 'Working' but not progressing. If you then click on the 'DATA REQUESTS' tab at the top of that web page it tells you that it was actually successful, and you can then download the .tgz file as usual.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or help.

Thank you.

James Jackson

--
    James Jackson
    University of Cambridge
    Bullard Laboratories
    Department of Earth Sciences
    Madingley Road
    Cambridge CB3 0EZ
    Tel: +44-1223-337197 (direct)
    +44-1223-337191 (messages)
    Fax: +44-1223-360779
    jaj2<at>cam.ac.uk

----------------------
    Wilber Help
    Topic home: http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/topic/wilber-help/ | Unsubscribe: wilber-help-unsubscribe<at>lists.ds.iris.edu

Sent from the IRIS Message Center (http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/)
    Update subscription preferences at http://ds.iris.edu/account/profile/

10:27:16 v.01697673