[webservices] Requesting decimated data

Bruce Weertman bruce at iris.washington.edu
Wed May 23 11:34:08 PDT 2012

Hi Elizabeth:

The decimation feature of ws-timeseries is only able to decimate  to certain sample rates.

As stated in the docs:
    "The sample-rate of the source divided by the given sample-rate must be factorable by 2,3,4,7."

>> I see that this is a mistake, the 4  should be a 5 - will fix this ASAP <<

For example, if the original data is 50 sps, then you will not be able to get to 4 sps since 50 / 4 = 12.5 which is not factorable by 2,3,5,7.

However, you would be able to get to 5 sps since 50 / 5 = 5

For a BHZ channel like net=IU, sta=ANMO, loc=00, cha=BHZ the sample rate is 20 sps
So you could get to 5 sps since 20/ 5 = 4 and 4 is factorable by 2,
You could also get to 4 sps since 20/4 = 5.

In general going to 5 sps should be a safer bet than going to 4 sps.

At some point in the future we will likely have an interpolation feature to go to arbitrary sample rates, but we're not there yet.

In the near term, another point for improvement would be to have better error reporting. I'll take a look at this.

Hope that helps.
If not, please feel free to send me a list  what you're requesting and I'll see if we have a problem on our end of things.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce R Weertman
Software Engineer