[webservices] event service questions

Yazan Suleiman yazan at iris.washington.edu
Thu May 24 09:36:40 PDT 2012

Hi

I will try to answer your questions in the same order:

1: Yes, it does work.  Not the way you expect it.  Like I described before it lists all magnitudes for a particular origin.  If you want to list all magnitudes for an event then you do preferredonly=no&includeallmagnitudes=yes {REMEMBER THE DEFAULT VALUES for some parameters, preferredonly always =yes unless you specify no}.  This will give you back all origins with associated magnitudes.  In the next version, the behavior will change to where includeallmagnitudes means events' magnitudes and not those associated with an origin.

2: http://www.iris.edu/ws/event/query?minmag=5&starttime=2000-06-08T12%3A21%3A00&endtime=2000-06-08T12%3A22%3A00&preferredonly=yes&includeallmagnitudes=no&orderby=time]

The query shows one origin because you have preferredonly=yes

3: http://www.iris.edu/ws/event/query?minmag=5&starttime=2000-06-08T12%3A21%3A00&endtime=2000-06-08T12%3A22%3A00&catalog=NEIC+PDE&includeallmagnitudes=yes&orderby=time

    http://www.iris.edu/ws/event/query?minmag=5&starttime=2000-06-08T12%3A21%3A00&endtime=2000-06-08T12%3A22%3A00&includeallmagnitudes=yes&orderby=time]

Ok, I think I know where the confusion is.  You are forgetting the prefferedonly=yes by default.  In both urls above, you are asking for events matching a certain criteria, and you only want back the preferred origin for that event.  Further, when you specify a catalog, you are requesting an event with a preferred origin only within a certain catalog.  If catalog is not provided, the preferred origin is determined by a certain computation regardless of the catalog.  For the second query, what you want is this:
http://www.iris.edu/ws/event/query?minmag=5&starttime=2000-06-08T12%3A21%3A00&endtime=2000-06-08T12%3A22%3A00&includeallmagnitudes=yes&orderby=time&preferredonly=no.  This will give you all origins

Hope this helps.  Yazan