[webservices] event query by catalog, no results for PDE for old time ranges

David Simpson simpson at iris.edu
Mon Mar 18 09:38:57 PDT 2013

Web Service aficionados

	The question of how IRIS deals with catalogs and especially the issue of authoritative sources and preferred hypocenters has been of concern for some time.

	The USGS is in the process of developing a comprehensive catalog (COMCAT) ( http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/epic/ ) that will eventually provide the dynamic updates (and rules of engagement) that some of you have indicated would be useful. This group should track that development and provide input to NEIC on how this develops and how it is linked to any parallel developments within the FDSN.
	In the meantime, I do not think that IRIS should be the business of defining "preferred solutions" from multiple catalogs.

	I would prefer that for use in selecting events for waveform collection (the primary IRIS DMC application) we should limit ourselves to a carefully defined set of no more than three catalogs (NEIC, ISC and GCMT) with a careful and well-understood definition of how they are used.  When using the ISC catalog, only the ISC processed and preferred solution should be used (these are clearly indicated in the ISC catalog). Under no circumstances should information about an event from one catalog be mixed with that from another catalog (e.g., magnitude or depth from GCMT mixed with location or origin time from another catalog).
	This should avoid some of the confusion that is demonstrated under this current thread of discussion.

	It is fine for IRIS to archive and provide access to multiple catalogs, but complex algorithms for selecting, mixing and defining preferred solutions should be left to the user or done by others (i.e. ISC or NEIC).

	David Simpson