[webservices] continuous data with dataselect service

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Thu Jul 10 19:08:18 PDT 2014

Hi John,

Can you provide a bit more detail about what you mean by getting the data back in blocks?  In a nutshell, if the data is continuous in the archive, what you get should be continuous as long as you have requested continuous segments.

In the archive, the internal blocking of the miniSEED data (referred to as records) are sometimes truncated at UTC day boundaries and other times there are records that cross the UTC day boundaries.  For the TA data in particular, the R quality data that arrived in real time generally does not include records that cross the day boundaries (it has been cut to perfectly fit within days).  But the Q quality data (a preferred copy) that arrives many months after real time does have records that cross day boundaries.  On top of this, by default the dataselect service will trim the data requested to the time window specified by the user.

I think if you can clarify what you are mean by blocking and perhaps provide some example requests we might be able to give you a better answer.

Chad