[webservices] null returns from fdsnws-station service [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Philip Crotwell crotwell at seis.sc.edu
Thu Sep 11 05:24:44 PDT 2014

Hi

If you are querying the web services programmatically instead of
within a web browser, then you have to check the return code. The
default for the fdsn web services is to return a 204 status code for
queries that return no data.

You might try adding nodata=404 to your queries, at least for testing
purposes in the browser.  Unfortunately, 204 tells the browser "don't
update the current display", so it looks like nothing happened. Not
the best choice IMHO. A 205 would have been better as it would have at
least caused a page refresh, but it is what it is.

Philip