[webservices] New version of the IRIS Java web services library: 2.0.2

Chad Trabant chad at iris.washington.edu
Wed Jul 3 09:51:33 PDT 2013

Hi Anthony,

In the background the same "extent" (earliest and latest data) information is used by both services, the availability service simply trims it down to your request time window.  It is important to note that this does not mean that time series are guaranteed to exist in that window (there could be gaps that are not represented in our quick-to-query extent information).  We are looking towards being able to provide more granular data coverage information, it is a challenging problem.

If you only want to match your request window to the availability times our fdsnws-station service will already do that for you.  The matchtimeseries parameter limits results to channels where the availability intersects with your starttime and endtime selection.  In short, add matchtimeseries=true to your request and you do not need to do your own availability checking.

Regarding the response size, unless you really like XML or need the details included in that format you might consider using the text output (format=text) which is much more compact and easily parsed:

http://service.iris.edu/fdsnws/station/1/query?starttime=2013-01-01T00:00:00&endtime=2013-01-01T01:00:00&sta=CMB&cha=BHZ&level=channel&matchtimeseries=true&format=text

best regards,
Chad