This Special Event web page is intended to provide direct links to and images of data and materials available from IRIS programs and preliminary research results from the seismology community. We welcome any additional contributions containing original content that might be of interest to the research community. Please send them to the email address listed below.
IRIS does not necessarily endorse the views or scientific validity of the posted items.
April 25, 2015 M7.8 earthquake in Nepal
Email contributions to:
All scientific contributions addressed to the community will be forwarded to the special-events mailing list. If you DO NOT want your email being forwarded, please address it to IRIS or explicitly write do not forward.
The April 25, 2015 M 7.8 Nepal earthquake occurred as the result of thrust faulting on or near the main frontal thrust between the subducting India plate and the overriding Eurasia plate to the north. This page is meant to be a collection of preliminary information, results & visualizations for the seismology research community.
Event parameters (from USGS)
Please check the USGS page for the latest official information.
|UTC Time||Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 06:11:26 UTC|
|Depth||15km (9 miles)|
|Region||ESE of Lamjung, Nepal|
|Distances|| 34km (21mi) ESE of Lamjung, Nepal
58km (36mi) NNE of Bharatpur, Nepal
73km (45mi) E of Pokhara, Nepal
76km (47mi) NW of Kirtipur, Nepal
77km (48mi) NW of Kathmandu, Nepal
USGS summary page ¶
Background & some preliminary figures ¶
- BSSA & SRL related articles
- Nice summary paper on Himalayan seismic hazard by R Bilham et al.
- other background information on Himalayan earthquakes by R Bilham
- some preliminary figures relating 2015 event to historical events on twitter feed of Susan Hough, USGS
- first delineation of the deep geometry of the Main Himalayan thrust from focal mechanism (Ni and Barazangi, 1984).
- first INDEPTH paper linking the shallow decollment and its roots in a deep reflection profile (Zhao et al, 1993).
- first HI-CLIMB paper which reported a receiver function profile right through the hypo central area (Nabelek et al, 2009).
- Earth Observatory of Singapore page on Nepal event
IRIS EPO Teachable Moments ¶
Additional Media & Photo Links ¶
- Google person finder
- CSEM EMSC page with photos
- Youtube video of shaking in Kathmandu
- Youtube video showing building collapse
IRIS Data Products ¶
- Aftershocks- figures & animation
- Fully automated backprojection results
- Event Plots with maps, record sections & P-wave envelope stacks
- Earthquake energy magnitude & rupture duration (collaboration w Georgia Tech).
- R1 source-time functions
- Ground Motion Visualization (GMV) across USArray
Finite Fault Models & Related ¶
- USGS finite fault model
- Preliminary model from Jascha Polet (version 2, includes GPS). and predicted surface displacement
Andrea Donnellan (JPL)
Landslide & Related ¶
- Landslide blogpost on AGU site
- Blogpsost from University of Canterbury on landslide susceptibilty
- Digital Elevation Map:
Aftershocks & related ¶
- Beamformed traces from Norway showing prolific aftershock sequence (S Gibbons, NORSAR).
- Early aftershocks figure with background seismicity & moment tensors (J Polet, Cal Poly Pomona).
- Animation of 3D ground motion (John Leeman, PSU).
Additional backprojections ¶
Additional IRIS backprojection movie made using a virtual array centered around Japan. (Alex Hutko, IRIS DMC)
Full resolution version of Meng backprojection
IRIS DMC Event Page
The IRIS DMC event page for this event contains links to additional tools and data.
These other pages were tagged similarly:
- North Korea nuclear explosion [Special Event: 2013-02-12]
- Tohoku, Japan earthquake [Special Event: 2011-03-11]
- Chelyabinsk, Russia bolide (meteor) [Special Event: 2013-02-19]
- Super Typhoon Haiyan [Special Event: 2013-11-07]
- Edgefield, South Carolina [Special Event: 2014-02-15]
- Nepaltemp [Special Event: 2015-04-30]
- Illapel, Chile [Special Event: 2015-09-16]
- 2016 North Korean nuclear test [Special Event: 2016-01-05]
- South Island, New Zealand [Special Event: 2016-11-13]
- 2017 North Korean nuclear test [Special Event: 2017-09-03]