On September 16, 2015 an M8.3 earthquake occurred on a shallow angle thrust fault on the interface between the Nazca and South America
plates near Illapel, Chile.
This page is meant to be a collection of preliminary information, results & visualizations for the seismology research community.
Event parameters (from USGS)
Please check the USGS page for the latest official information.
|UTC Time||Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 22:54:33 UTC|
|Depth||25km (16 miles)|
|Region||Offshore Coquimbo, Chile (135)|
|Distances|| 54km (34mi) W of Illapel, Chile
76km (47mi) WNW of Salamanca, Chile
109km (68mi) NNW of La Ligua, Chile
118km (73mi) SSW of Ovalle, Chile
233km (145mi) NNW of Santiago, Chile
USGS summary page
- USGS summary page with links to PAGER
- preliminary USGS finite-fault model shows shallow rupture, large slip and long duration
- USGS moment tensors
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center page
- PTWC event page (read the Message Text).
- Approximate tsunami travel times by Jascha Polet made with NOAA tool
- List of observed & forecasted tsunami heights
International Tsunami Information Center (ITIC) page
IRIS Data Products
- Animation showing waves propagate across US
- Fully automated backprojection results
- Aftershocks- figures & animation updated hourly
- EQ Energy – estimate of earthquake energy and rupture duration
- Record sections, P-coda stacks & station maps
- Rayleigh wave source-time function
- SeisSound – an audio/video-based data product
UNAVCO Data Products and overview page
gempa GmbH simulated tsunami wave propagation
- gempa has simulated the tsunami wave propagation due to the Chilean earthquake on September 16, 2015, using TOAST.
Background & some preliminary figures
The IRIS DMC event page for this event contains links to additional tools and data.
These comments are moderated and will be automatically closed after a period of time.blog comments powered by Disqus
These other pages were tagged similarly:
- Chelyabinsk, Russia bolide (meteor) [Special Event: 2013-02-19]
- South Island, New Zealand [Special Event: 2016-11-13]
- North Korea nuclear explosion [Special Event: 2013-02-12]
- April 2015 M7.8 Nepal Earthquake [Newsletter Article: 2015-06-05 Vol. 17, Num. 1]
- February 2010 M8.8 Chile Quake [Newsletter Article: 2010-03-03 Vol. 12, Num. 1]
- Mt. Redoubt Eruption - March 2009 [Newsletter Article: 2009-03-03 Vol. 11, Num. 1]
- Edgefield, South Carolina [Special Event: 2014-02-15]
- How do I interpret magnitudes and magnitude types? [FAQ]
- IRIS DMC Special Event Webpages [Newsletter Article: 2013-07-03 Vol. 15, Num. 1]
- Tohoku, Japan earthquake [Special Event: 2011-03-11]