On September 16, 2015 an M8.3 earthquake occurred on a shallow angle thrust fault on the interface between the Nazca and South America
plates near Illapel, Chile.
This page is meant to be a collection of preliminary information, results & visualizations for the seismology research community.
Event parameters (from USGS)
Please check the USGS page for the latest official information.
|UTC Time||Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 22:54:33 UTC|
|Depth||25km (16 miles)|
|Region||Offshore Coquimbo, Chile (135)|
|Distances|| 54km (34mi) W of Illapel, Chile
76km (47mi) WNW of Salamanca, Chile
109km (68mi) NNW of La Ligua, Chile
118km (73mi) SSW of Ovalle, Chile
233km (145mi) NNW of Santiago, Chile
USGS summary page
- USGS summary page with links to PAGER
- preliminary USGS finite-fault model shows shallow rupture, large slip and long duration
- USGS moment tensors
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center page
- PTWC event page (read the Message Text).
- Approximate tsunami travel times by Jascha Polet made with NOAA tool
- List of observed & forecasted tsunami heights
International Tsunami Information Center (ITIC) page
IRIS Data Products
- Animation showing waves propagate across US
- Fully automated backprojection results
- Aftershocks- figures & animation updated hourly
- EQ Energy – estimate of earthquake energy and rupture duration
- Record sections, P-coda stacks & station maps
- Rayleigh wave source-time function
- SeisSound – an audio/video-based data product
UNAVCO Data Products and overview page
gempa GmbH simulated tsunami wave propagation
- gempa has simulated the tsunami wave propagation due to the Chilean earthquake on September 16, 2015, using TOAST.
Background & some preliminary figures
The IRIS DMC event page for this event contains links to additional tools and data.
These comments are moderated and will be automatically closed after a period of time.blog comments powered by Disqus
If you found this article interesting you may enjoy the following similar publications:
- No related articles available
Format: Title [Website Section: Publication Date, YYYY-MM-DD]