GyPSuM, Simmons, Forte, Boschi & Grand (2010) , is a tomographic model of mantle seismic wave speeds developed through simultaneous inversion of seismic body wave travel times and geodynamic observations.
|Title||A global 3-D model of mantle shear wave (S) and compressional (P) speeds|
|Type||3-D Tomography Earth Model|
|Sub Type||P & S velocities|
|Short Description||GyPSuM is a tomographic model of mantle seismic wave speeds developed through simultaneous inversion of seismic body wave travel times and geodynamic observations.|
|Nathan A. Simmons|
|Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division|
|Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory|
|Livermore, California, USA|
|Alessandro M. Forte|
|GEOTOP, Departement des Sciences de la Terre et de l’Atmosphere|
|Universite du Quebec|
|Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule Honggerberg|
|Institute of Geophysics, Zurich, Switzerland|
|Stephen P. Grand|
|Jackson School of Geosciences|
|University of Texas at Austin|
|Austin, Texas, USA|
|Reference Model||The reference P-wave model is the 1-s, isotropic equivalent PREM [Table II of Dziewonski and Anderson (1981) ]. The S-wave model is based on the averaged TNA/SNA model.|
|One-degree gridded version of the model zip file (~8.8 MB) includes all necessary model files.|
|The above model expressed as percent P- & S- velocity perturbations:
GYPSUM_percent.nc (metadata ), is the netCDF file for the model
|The P-wave velocity for the above model expressed in km/s:
GYPSUMP_kmps.nc (metadata ), is the netCDF file for the model
|The S-wave velocity for the above model expressed in km/s:
GYPSUMS_kmps.nc (metadata ), is the netCDF file for the model
|Depth Coverage||0 to 2900 km|
|Areal Coverage||Global (-90°/90°, -180°/180°)|
|Data Set Description||The seismic data used consist of globally distributed, teleseismic S wave and P wave travel time observations that are not restricted to common source-receiver pairs. The geodynamic data includes the free air gravity field from the EGM96 geopotential model.|
To cite IRIS DMC Data Products effort:
- Trabant, C., A. R. Hutko, M. Bahavar, R. Karstens, T. Ahern, and R. Aster (2012), Data Products at the IRIS DMC: Stepping Stones for Research and Other Applications, Seismological Research Letters, 83(5), 846–854, https://doi.org/10.1785/0220120032.
To cite the source of this Earth model:
- Simmons, N.A., A.M. Forte, L. Boschi, and S.P. Grand. 2010. “GyPSuM: A joint tomographic model of mantle density and seismic wave speeds.” J. Geophys. Res. 115:B12310.
To reference the use of this Earth model hosted by EMC:
- IRIS DMC (2011), Data Services Products: GyPSuM, a global 3-D model of mantle shear wave (S) and compressional (P) speeds, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/9991624.
To cite IRIS Earth Model Collaboration (EMC) data product or reference use of its repository:
- IRIS DMC (2011), Data Services Products: EMC, A repository of Earth models, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/EMC.1.
N.A. Simmons, A.M. Forte, L. Boschi, and S.P. Grand
- GyPSuM tomography model online
- Unified depths of the GyPSuM kmps models.