SAWum_NA2 North American regional shear velocity model is an isotropic and radially and azimuthally anisotropic Vs model for the North American upper mantle. The isotropic and radial anisotropic portion of the model is developed using long period 3-component fundamental and overtone surface waveforms in the frame work of the Non-linear normal Mode Asymptotic Coupling Theory (Li and Romanowicz, 1995;1996). A joint inversion of surface waveforms and SKS station average datasets is used in the azimuthal anisotropy inversion (Montagner et al. 2000; Romanowicz and yuan 2012).
|Title||A high-resolution North American shear velocity model of upper mantle|
|Type||3-D full-waveform Earth Model|
|Sub Type||A radially and azimuthally anisotropic shear velocity model|
|Short Description||SAWum_NA2 is a radially and azimuthally anisotropic shear velocity model, parameterized in terms of isotropic S velocity (Voigt average), the radial anisotropic parameter, xi (V sh 2 /V sv 2) and azimuthal anisotropic strength (dlnG) and fast axis directions (ψ). (see Reference Model below) .|
|Berkeley Seismological Laboratory (Now at Macquarie University, North Ryde, Australia email@example.com )|
|University of California, Berkeley|
|Berkeley Seismological Laboratory|
|University of California, Berkeley|
|Reference Model||A modified version of that used in SEMum model (Lekic and Romanowicz 2011): A smooth, modified version of PREM , with the Q structure of QL6 (Durek and Ekstrom, 1996) that fits normal mode frequencies (see Lekic & Romanowicz, 2011 for more information)|
|Please follow the model home page for associated MATLAB files and the LAB MLD depth file: http://seismo.berkeley.edu/wiki_br/Regional.vectorial.tomography|
|SAWUMNA2_kmps.nc (metadata ), is the netCDF file for the model|
|Depth Coverage||Upper Mantle (30 to 600 km)|
|Areal Coverage||North America; see figure here defining the model space.|
|Data Set Description||Long-period 3-component waveforms (fundamental mode and overtones) from ~200 global events recorded on the global network used in Lekic and Romanowicz 2011, and ~600 global events recorded at North American stations.|
To cite IRIS DMC Data Products effort:
- Trabant, C., A. R. Hutko, M. Bahavar, R. Karstens, T. Ahern, and R. Aster (2012), Data Products at the IRIS DMC: Stepping Stones for Research and Other Applications, Seismological Research Letters, 83(5), 846–854, https://doi.org/10.1785/0220120032.
To cite the source of this Earth model:
- Yuan, H. and Romanowicz, B., Lithospheric layering in the North American Craton, Nature, 466, 1063-1068, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1038/nature09332.
To reference the use of this Earth model hosted by EMC:
- IRIS DMC (2014), Data Services Products: SAWum_NA2, a high-resolution North American model of upper mantle structure, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/9992645.
To cite IRIS Earth Model Collaboration (EMC) data product or reference use of its repository:
- IRIS DMC (2011), Data Services Products: EMC, A repository of Earth models, https://doi.org/10.17611/DP/EMC.1.
- Lekić, V., Romanowicz, B., 2011. Inferring upper-mantle structure by full waveform tomography with the spectral element method. Geophys. J. Int. 185, 799-831.
- Li, X.-D., Romanowicz, B., 1995. Comparison of global waveform inversions with and without considering cross-branch modal coupling. Geophys. J. Int. 121, 695-709.
- Li, X., Romanowicz, B., 1996. Global mantle shear velocity model developed using nonlinear asymptotic coupling theory. J. Geophys. Res 101, 22245-22273.
- Montagner, J.-P., Griot-Pommera, D.-A., Lave, J., 2000. How to relate body wave and surface wave anisotropy? J. Geophys. Res. 105, 19,015-019,027.
- Whitmeyer, S.J., Karlstrom, K.E., 2007. Tectonic model for the Proterozoic growth of North America. Geosphere 3, 220-259.
- Yuan, H., Romanowicz, B., Fischer, K.M., Abt, D., 2011. 3-D shear wave radially and azimuthally anisotropic velocity model of the North American upper mantle. Geophys. J. Int. 184, 1237-1260.
H. Yuan and B. Romanowicz