Email contributions to:
All scientific contributions addressed to the community will be forwarded to the special-events mailing list. If you DO NOT want your email being forwarded, please address it to IRIS or explicitly write do not forward.
On November 13, 2016 an M8.3 earthquake occurred in North Canterbury, New Zealand as the result of shallow oblique-reverse faulting on or near the boundary between the Pacific and Australia plates in South Island, New Zealand.
This page is meant to be a collection of preliminary information, results & visualizations for the seismology research community.
Event parameters (from USGS)
Please check the USGS page for the latest official information.
|UTC Time||Sunday, November 13, 11:02:56 UTC|
|Depth||23.0 km (14.3 miles)|
|Region||Canterbury, New Zealand|
|Distances|| Amberley, New Zealand 53.5 km (33.2 mi), Kaiapoi, New Zealand 77.7 km (48.3 mi), Christchurch, New Zealand
93.5 km (58.1 mi), Blenheim, New Zealand 155.7 km (96.7 mi), Richmond, New Zealand 158.4 km (98.4 mi)
USGS summary page ¶
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center page ¶
International Tsunami Information Center page ¶
IRIS Data Products ¶
- Animation showing waves propagate across US
- Fully automated backprojection results
- Aftershocks- figures & animation updated hourly
- EQ Energy – estimate of earthquake energy and rupture duration
- Record sections, P-coda stacks & station maps
- Rayleigh wave source-time function
IRIS Education and Public Outreach (EPO) Program ¶
University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) ¶
UNAVCO event response page ¶
IRIS DMC Event Page
The IRIS DMC event page for this event contains links to additional tools and data.
These other pages were tagged similarly:
- IRIS Ground Motion Visualization (GMV) data product expands as USArray moves to Alaska [Newsletter Article: 2015-11-07 Vol. 17, Num. 2]
- February 2010 M8.8 Chile Quake [Newsletter Article: 2010-03-03 Vol. 12, Num. 1]
- Data Product Suggestion Form [Newsletter Article: 2010-03-05 Vol. 12, Num. 1]
- USArray Ground Motion Visualization [Newsletter Article: 2009-12-04 Vol. 11, Num. 4]
- Mt. Redoubt Eruption - March 2009 [Newsletter Article: 2009-03-03 Vol. 11, Num. 1]
- IRIS Software [Newsletter Article: 2008-06-03 Vol. 10, Num. 2]
- Searchable Product Archive and Discovery Engine Now Available [Newsletter Article: 2007-03-01 Vol. 9, Num. 1]
- SOSA 1.1 Released [Newsletter Article: 2005-09-04 Vol. 7, Num. 3]
- IRIS DMC Special Event Webpages [Newsletter Article: 2013-07-03 Vol. 15, Num. 1]
- Super Ground Motion Visualizations (SGMVs) [Newsletter Article: 2013-10-04 Vol. 15, Num. 2]