"… old seismograms, if properly interpreted, provide invaluable information on earthquakes in the past, and every effort should be made to save them, regardless of their quality, from possible loss and to make copies in an easily readable form." Hiroo Kanamori (1988).
The purpose of these International Digital Earthquake Archives (IDEAs) is to preserve earthquake data, specially seismograms, for future research.
For example, Hiroo Kanamori used seismograms recorded at Debilt, the Netherlands to demonstrate that the 1960 Chile and the 1964 Alaskan earthquakes are indeed "Great Earthquakes", much larger than other "great earthquakes", such as, 1952 Kamchatka and 1963 Kurile earthquakes, 1923 Kanto and 1924 Mindanao, 2001 Peru, and 2001 Peru.
Seismograms, data, and related materials of selected earthquakes are stored in archives as computer data files so that they are freely accessible via the Internet, and seismograms (in originally scanned resolution) are downloadable from the IRIS Data Management Center.
Volunteers and donors are welcome. Please contact William H.K. Lee at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
1. 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Archive dedicated to Prof. A.C. Lawson and Prof. H.F. Reid
2. 1906 Aleutian Is. Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Donald B. Scott.
3. 1906 Valparaiso (Chile) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Donald B. Scott
4. 1909 Taipei (Taiwan) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Ta-You Wu
12. June 28, 1948 Fukui (Japan) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Masayuki Kikuchi
14. 1957 Daly City (California) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Mr. Manuel G. "Doc" Bonilla (in preparation)
15. 1960 Great Chilean Earthquake Archive in Honor of Prof. Hiroo Kanamori (in preparation)
18. 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake Archive in Honor of Dr. George Plafker
19. 1964 Niigata (Japan) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Keiiti Aki
20. 1965 Rat Island (Aleutian) Earthquake Archive dedicated to Prof. William Stauder, S.J. (in preparation)
21. 1965 Puget Sound (USA) Earthquake Archive in Honor of Prof. Robert S. Crosson
24. 1966 Parkfield (California) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Dr. Jerry P. Eaton
30. 1968 Tokachi-oki (Japan) Earthquake Archive in Memory of Prof. Tokuji Utsu
31. 1968 Inangahua (New Zealand) Earthquake
Archive dedicated to Dr. Robin D. Adams
34. 1969 Sardo (Ethiopia) Earthquake Archive dedicated to Prof. Pierre Gouin, S.J. (in preparation)
36. 1970 Peru Earthquake Archive in Honor of Dr. Eric Robert "Bob" Engdahl (in preparation)
Managua (Nicaragua) Earthquake Archive in Honor of Mr. Robert D. Brown
40. 1987-1988 Gulf of Alaska Earthquake Archive in Memory of Dr. John C. Lahr
Supported by volunteers and
Last updated: May 14, 2012